Ohio to Erie Trail (OTET)



The Ohio to Erie Trail (OTET) is a series of linked cycle trails from Cincinnati on the Ohio River to Cleveland on Lake Erie - a distance of 357 miles.  This trip was made September 26 to October 10, 2021 and included 11 days of cycling averaging 32 miles per day.  




I caught a flight from Portland through Seattle to Cincinnati with my bike on Alaska Airlines.  I stayed overnight at a hotel next to the Cincinnati airport, unpacked and assembled my bike, and left the box with the hotel for safe keeping until my return at the end of the trip.  

Day 1

A very convenient public bus with a bike rack took me from the airport to downtown Cincinnati where I found a great breakfast place called Wild Eggs.  The afternoon was spent just exploring the town.  The old 1930s Train Station is a beautiful Art Deco building which now houses a very impressive natural history museum. 

 Findlay Market is a very  interesting marketplace in the style of Seattle's Pike Place or Vancouver's Granville Island. 
 A great dinner find was a small corner pub called the Washington Platform Express featuring seafood and a very eclectic menu.

Day 2

I left Cincinnati at 8 am and  navigated the streets to the northeast out of town, finally meeting the main bike trail along the Miami river.
By 10 am I was in Milford, Ohio.  I asked some local cyclists where to get breakfast and they recommended a place called The Governor on main street.  I grabbed a table outside in the sun with my bike parked right next to me. A huge breakfast here was meant to last the rest of the day.  Then I was back on the smooth flat paved trail, mostly shaded by the thick groves of trees on either side and the little Miami River on my left. 


I reached the lovely little town of Loveland and continued on the beautiful paved bike trail.  Finally, at the end the day, I was challenged with a steep climb out of the river valley and reached my destination of Kings Mills about 1 pm.

Day 3

I left at 8:15 am hoping to find a coffee shop for breakfast later in the morning.  The flat paved bike trail followed the Little Miami River for a few hours.  
There were no major towns along the way, and the couple of small village crossroads lacked anyplace for breakfast.  I finally stopped on one of the trail-side benches and ate some leftover sweet rolls from the previous day.  Finally about 11 am I found an ice cream shop with coffee.  After leaving there I ran into a middle age couple, Carol and Randy, from east of Cleveland with full paniers and camping gear doing the same trip from Cincinnati to Cleveland.  They were very friendly and we cycled alongside chatting for the next 8 miles until I reached my destination for the day - the town of Xenia.
  
 
Day 4

Leaving  Xenia at 8:45 am, I shortly connected to the Prairie Grass cycle trail, part of the OTET system.  I've never been on a bike trail so paved, smooth, flat, and straight for so many miles as this one.  In fact it became a bit monotonous, so I turned on my music playlist and enjoyed the sound as the farming landscape and corn fields passed by.  

Stopping in the small town of Cedarville, I found a nice coffee and breakfast place called Beans and Cream.  Then more long, flat, straight trail to my destination for the day - London, Ohio. 


Unfortunately, the hotel was about four miles further on a busy highway with trucks and only a narrow shoulder. I arrived at 2 pm after 36.1 miles.  

Day 5

After a couple of miles backtracking from the hotel on a busy highway and narrow shoulder I reached the Camp Chase Trail.  Once again a flat paved trail took me all the way to my destination of Columbus

The weather remained a perfect 75 degrees maximum.  The trail connected to another one taking me right to downtown Columbus for the evening stay. 

Day 6

Today was a break day leisurely exploring Columbus - the arts district of Short North, the North Market, the Scioto Trail through the riverfront park, and Germantown.  

Columbus seems quite livable, but coming from Portland, Oregon, I would miss the mountains and ocean.  

Day 7

I got a late start (about 10:30 am), and headed out of town following a series of local trails on the way to Sunbury, Ohio.  Once again most of the way was on very smooth paved flat bike trail including the Alum Creek trail.

Much of this route runs toward the NE and was part of the Underground Railway in which 19th century escaped slaves made their way North. 
Approaching Sunbury I was struck by the numerous huge modern homes built on very large (seemingly 10 acre) lots.  The idea of landscaping here seems to be acres of green mowed lawn.  

I arrived in Sunbury at 2 pm and later that afternoon the rain began.

Day 8

I was up early but it was pouring rain, so I had a leisurely breakfast at a local diner next door.  The rain lessened and I headed out about 8:30 am following roads for several miles before connecting to the Heart of Ohio cycle trail.

The drizzle was off and on all morning.  I reflected on what I had been seeing in central Ohio.  I was impressed with the infrastructure.  The roads, cycle trails, schools, libraries and public buildings all seemed to be modern and well maintained.  Most of the homes had signs urging one to vote for so and so for the local school board.  In a couple hours I reached Centerburg and the sign marking the half way point of the OTET trail between Cincinnati and Cleveland.  

After taking my rain poncho off and on about 10 times, I arrived in the nice little town of Mount Vernon.  
The Grand Hotel in the town square turned out to be grand indeed and deserves 5 stars.   
Day 9

I had a great full breakfast at the hotel and, with rain forecast for later in the day, I was on the road at 8 am on the Kookosing Gap trail following streams through the woods.  Chipmunks scurried across the trail, several large hawks and red Cardinals flew by, and a three prong deer stood next to the trail staring at the strange creature with two wheels.  


In Danville, I found a lovely coffee shop called the Blond Robin and enjoyed a late morning latte.  The cycle trail is like a one lane highway, and does not allow motored vehicles.  But, in this part of the country, horses are allowed and on two occasions horse drawn buggies driven by Omish ladies in black passed me going the opposite direction.  The trail was wet from yesterday's rain and by mid point my bike was covered with mud.

In the little town of Killbuck, I came across a self-service car wash, inserted two dollars in the machine, and gave my bike a good wash down.  The rain never materialized and with a clean bike and partial sunshine, I pedaled on to my next stop of Millersburg.

I checked into the old Millersburg Hotel - built in 1837 and featuring huge and comfortable rooms. 

That evening I refueled at the Mexican Restaurant just across the street.   

Day 10

Today was the most difficult ride so far.  Starting early, I rode a flat trail through the woods to Fredicksburg in the heart of Omish country.
 

There I found the Salt Creek Café and downed a latte and a large blueberry cheesecake.  As it turns out, I needed those calories and energy as the next ten miles or so to the town of Dalton followed country roads over numerous hills.  I encountered several Omish horse and buggies along the road.  But, it seems the electric bicycle, often with a small trailer, is becoming the popular mode of Omish transportation. 

I saw only a couple of cyclists all day.  One couple was heading south carrying paniers, so I asked and they confirmed they were headed for Cincinnati.  Finally, I reached the Sippo Valley trail and had a flat, but somewhat rough ride for about the final 10 miles to my destination of Massillon.

Day 11

I enjoyed a full breakfast at the hotel where I met Tim, a cyclist from southern Indiana.  He was doing the same route from Cincinnati to Cleveland, but in considerable less time than me.  We had a nice chat and bid each other farewell.  But, it was short lived for about an hour later I ran into him on the trail taking photos of the old canal locks and historical signs.

 I followed the Ohio and Erie Canal towpath trail through scenic woods and streams

 


and then stopped at a bike shop in Barberton for a needed top off on my tire's air pressure.  I finally reached my destination - an AirBnB close to the trail on the SE side of Akron.

Day 12

I got an early 7:30 am start with only a cup of coffee on board, and followed the canal towpath past beautiful summit lake. 

By 9 am I was feeling the need for some calories and was delighted to run into the nice Valley Café right next to the trail which served up bacon and eggs.  The flat trail continued along and as I got further north I began to run into an increasing number of cyclists and joggers on the trail. 

By 1 pm I reached destination of Independence.  The hotel was two miles off the trail by a shoulder-less busy highway and a steep hill.  It was time for a rest.  As if the day had not been special enough, I had another treat coming.  As the trip wound down, I decided to treat myself to a steak dinner at the nearby restaurant.  As I finished and asked for the bill, the waiter told me the two families at the table across from me had paid my bill.  I thanked them for making my day.
 
Day 13

The forecast was for afternoon rain so I was on the trail a little after 7 am.  The paved trail was still and quiet in the early morning and a coyote crossed the trail right in front of me.   I came across a small wooden bridge just before making a right turn.  It was very wet from last night's rain and very slick.  As I made my turn, the wheels went out from under me and I went down. Fortunately, there was no damage to the bike or to me. 
 

 The trail continued into Cleveland past the industrialized area, and then through west side neighborhood streets
.


Finally, the route connected to the trail again down to the lakefront at Edgewater Park where I got the classic photo finish.

I found a good breakfast restaurant west of town on my way to the hotel near the Cleveland Airport.  I arrived at noon, just as it started to pour down rain.

Day 14 & 15

I visited my cousin and relatives in Elyria. Then picked up a rental car and drove with the bike back to Cincinnati.  The next day I caught the flight back to Portland.  Overall, it was an awesome trip with no mechanical or weather problems, and filled with the quietness of the woods and streams along the trail. 
I look forward to doing it again someday.   

RESOURCES

Ohio to Erie Trail Guide (Northbound and Southbound Maps)






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Cycling Trips

Hadrian's Wall, UK

New York City to Niagara Falls